When to Buy? Monthly Breakdown of the Best Times to Buy Certain Products
Purchase Goods At The Right Time
Whether you are upgrading your vehicle for a move to the mountains or baking your award-winning summer berry pie, there are certain times of year when it is best to purchase certain products in the U.S. To save some serious cash, check out our month-to-month breakdown below.
- Home Renovations – January tends to be the slowest month for contractors, so they are most negotiable when it comes to fees. Start the New Year off right with great savings on home improvement projects.
- Pools and Hot Tubs – Prices for summer luxuries like pools are the lowest during winter. Take advantage of the low prices and the extra months to get your backyard barbecue-ready.
- Groceries – Turkey, apples, grapefruit, oranges and pears.
- Furniture– New furniture designs debut in spring, so retailers want to clear the floor to make room for these new styles. You can save 30 to 60 percent at many stores.
- Cameras – New camera models generally hit stores in February, so retailers provide significant markdowns on older models.
- Groceries – Candy and chocolates post-Valentine’s Day.
- Televisions – The newest television models are shipped to stores in March, so retailers want to clear out their old inventory. On average you will save 15 percent purchasing a television at this time.
- Sandals – Spring sandals undergo their first round of markdowns as retailers prepare for summer. You’ll want to check out online retailers and large shoe stores early for the best selection of sandals. You can save 20 to 30 percent.
- Groceries – Frozen food month!
- Raincoats – Because most rainy seasons are short-lived, retailers have a brief window during which to sell their raincoats. Toward the end of the month you will see great discounts up to 25 percent off.
- Jewelry – After tax season comes to a close, jewelers are more inclined to negotiate prices.
- Laptops – Besides back-to-school deals offered in August, April is the cheapest time to update your laptop.
- Groceries – Broccoli, cauliflower and eggs.
- Athletic Apparel – As the weather starts to heat up across the country, retailers offer discounts from 30 to 60 percent off to entice consumers to purchase last season’s leftover inventory of athletic gear and shoes.
- Refrigerators– The newest refrigerators make their way to retailers in the summer. Thus, enjoy savings on the older inventory in May.
- Groceries – Barbecue season: soda, hot dogs, hamburgers, buns, asparagus and pineapple.
- Dishware – Wedding season is in full swing, so many retailers provide discounts of 25 to 50 percent off dishware for those purchasing items from wedding registries.
- Gym Memberships– People have long forgotten their healthy New Year’s resolution to get fit. Buying or renewing your gym membership in June will help you negotiate cheaper rates.
- Groceries – Dairy products and tomatoes.
- Home Décor – Thank those tying the knot for the 20 to 50 percent savings on home décor items like table linens and dinnerware.
- Jewelry – With the absence of gift-giving holidays, July is also a great time of the year to purchase jewelry at discounted prices.
- Groceries – Berries, corn, cherries, squash, watermelons, cantaloupes, tomatoes, plums, peaches and nectarines.
- Swimsuits – Unless you live in the South, August is usually the end of summer. Snatch up a variety of swimwear pieces from 40 to 70 percent at your favorite retailers.
- Stocks – August has been cited as the stock market’s traditionally worst-performing month during the past few decades. Scoop up low-priced stocks this month.
- Groceries – Squash, green peppers, lettuce, berries, apples, peaches, apricots and fresh fish.
- Plants – To create space for holiday plants and fall selections, garden centers clear out their vibrant summer stock. Enjoy markdowns of 30 to 50 percent.
- Patio Furniture – After Labor Day passes, pick up patio furniture at discounted prices. Enjoy your savings and start planning next summer’s barbecues.
- Groceries – Apples, broccoli, cauliflower, and canned goods.
- Denim / Jeans – After the rush of back-to-school purchases, retailers want to unload their denim and jean selections. Find jeans for 30 to 60 percent off retail prices at department stores.
- Cars – Dealers begin to introduce the newest car models in the fall, and thus are anxious to move the “older” models from the lot (often they are the same year). This push to sell older models gives dealers greater incentive to negotiate prices, and annual sales bonuses are significantly higher than monthly ones.
- Groceries – Pumpkins, cranberries, grapes, oranges, sweet potatoes and yams.
- Pajamas and Slippers – A popular gift for the holiday season, many retailers appeal to consumers with packaged sets of pajamas and slippers. Use your 30 to 50 percent savings to buy some hot cocoa.
- Cookware – Thanksgiving means extra time in the kitchen, and cooking supply retailers offer discounted prices on many kitchen essentials, tools and gadgets.
- Groceries – Turkey, sweet potatoes, yams, and post-Halloween candy.
- Outerwear – Department stores and retailers do not want to carry these fall necessities into the new year when the focus will turn to spring. Retailers often offer deep promotions before the Christmas holiday, where you can save 15 to 40 percent.
- Boats– With summer days long gone, winter boat show season begins. Grab your newest nautical addition for a reduced price.
- Groceries – Oranges, apples and grapefruit.
This list represents some great seasonal buys but is not exhaustive. For more information on the best time to purchase a vacation or new mattress, check out the articles at the Business Insider or Huffington Post.
- When is the Best Time to Purchase Vacations, by Luxurytravelvacations101.com
- The Best Time to Vacation in Hawaii, by Tamiya King, eHow
- The Best Time to Purchase Airline Tickets and Book Hotels, by Kate Siber at Away.com
- When is the Best Time of Year to buy Large Appliances, by Moneycrashers.com
- When is the Best Time to Take a Cruise, by Cruisecritic.com
- When is the Best Time of year to Purchase a Mattress, by Brendan Gibney at Ask.com
- The Best Time to Buy Guide for 101 Products and Services, by Freeshipping.org
- The Best Fruits and Vegetables for each Month, by Wisebread.com
- The Best Time of year to Buy a Mattress, by AlexisW at Brighthub.com
- The Best Time of year to Buy Anything, by Whitson Gordon at Lifehacker.com
- When to buy Fresh Fruit, by Pauline Sakai at KCRA.com
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetables, How, Why and When to buy, by Dole at Amazon.com in a pamphlet
- A Guide to The Best Time to Buy This, Do That and Go There, by Mark Di Vincenzo