Computer Security and Back Up Programs that Work Best
Maintaining Your Computer
Your computer is no good if it loses its function to save and store important information. Security and saving your files are two different functions.
Security refers to keeping your computer free from viruses and malware that can obtain important information from your computer or ruin the hard drive, rendering the computer useless. A back up program is a Plan B method of getting your files in the event your computer is compromised. If something happens to your computer, like a security breach, your back up method would save your files.
Anyone who works with computers knows the feeling of (1) almost completing a task only to accidently close it out or have the computer turn off, resulting in the loss of your content, and (2) hearing from a computer tech that your hard drive is dead and you can’t get your files back. Dealing with a computer that is not working properly is arguably one of the most frustrating tasks of the 21st century.
Top Security Programs
The following are several recommended security programs for your computer (both PC and Mac). These programs will keep your computer functioning virus-free.
- Bitdefender Antivirus Plus
- Bitdefender Premium
- Norton Security
- Avira Free Antivirus
- Free – Download Now (click the “Download Here” button)
- Sophos Antivirus
- Free – Download Now (click the “Get Started” button)
- Kaspersky Internet Security
- PC / MAC
- F-Secure Internet Security
Top Back-Up Programs
The following are recommended back up programs for your computer (both PC and Mac). These programs will store a back-up of your files in case of a hard drive or computer failure.
- Genie Backup Manager
- PC / Mac
- Data Backup
The above security and back up programs are recommended based on these professional reviews:
Note that the prices listed are the lowest prices and many packages offer additional pricing tiers if you purchase a subscription for multiple years.
Before purchasing any of the products above, consider the following:
- Download carefully – Often these sites, especially for free downloads, are loaded with pop ups that make it confusing to download the right thing. Make certain you are only downloading the recommended software and not an ad that looks like recommended software.
- Create complex passwords – Create difficult passwords to lessen the likelihood of viruses and identity theft.
- Avoid suspicious links – Be wary of odd links in emails. If you think something might be spam, mark it as spam so there is no chance you might be fooled again.
- Ask for recommendations – Call your Internet marketing company, or a local agency, and ask what software they prefer to use (or ask them to recommend one).
- Test new software – When trying a new software, purchase the license for the shortest period of time and treat it as a testing phase.
Backing up a computer and protecting your data from malware and viruses is like taking a vitamin. It is a necessary evil of using the Internet. Protecting your data now can save you time and stress later.
- Top Considerations for Implementing Secure Backup and Recovery, by Chander Kant & Dmitri Joukovski
- How to Choose an Online Backup Service, by Michael Muchmore
- The Best Backup Software, by Edward Mendelson and Michael Muchmore
- Review of the Best Online Backup Services, by Mark Horn
- JustCloud Review-The Top Online Computer Backup Services, by computerbackup.org
- Norton Computer Software Protection, by nortonadvisor.com
- Do you need Antivirus on Android, by digitaltrends.com
- Computer Backup Systems, by ConsumerReports.org
- Introduction to Backup Systems, by Eli the Computer Guy
- Computer Security, by Federal Trade Commission
- The PC Security Channel, by ThePCSecurity
- Online Information Systems and Technology Programs, by Walden University
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Security, by American Public University
- Norton Security with Backup 2.0 25GB, by Norton
- Data Hiding, by Raggo & Hosmer
- My Book Essential User manual , by wdc.com
- Lookout-Backup, Security and Missing Device, by Lookout, Inc. available on iTunes for free
- How to Back Up Your devices Using iCloud or iTunes, by support.apple.com